KGV Centenary

KGV Centenary

Southport Municipal Secondary School for Boys was founded in September 1920 and occupied a building named ‘The Woodlands’, along with some disused Army huts, at the north end of Lord Street where the Law Courts now stand. There were 110 boys in the School and the Headmaster was George Millward M.A.

During the 1990s KGV College became a corporation, making it independent from the local authority since when full time student numbers have risen from around 700 to almost 1200, necessitating larger premises. In 1996, an exciting building project was commenced, and the new Millennium Centre at King George V College was formally opened in the summer of 1997 by Lord Derby.

To mark the centenary celebrations The Old Georgians Association have pulled together objects and ephemera from the Schools history.

The exhibition can be found in the Foyer of The Atkinson and will run from the 9th of October – 13th November

Posted on 7 October 2021 under General news

Share your comments